Fall Fair- day 1

We went to the opening day of the Merritt fall fair today after stopping at the Saturday farmers market for corn. A bit more info here.I took a lot of pictures as usual since there's tons of items on display. I will post more pictures later but for now I made a quickie panorama of the main building's interior:

Much bigger view here.

Baked goods, bottled goods, fruits, vegetables, art, crafts, photography, flowers, forage crops, plus ( new for this year I believe ) vendors that sold purses, jewelry and leather goods. We had hot dogs (for breakfast!) and checked out all the displays and chatted with people we knew- it was a great atmosphere despite the less than great weather although I'm not complaining since we desperately need rain in these parts. My photos did really well- I was kind of shocked at how well actually even though I knew some of my best pieces were going in.

We had apple crumple with ice cream for lunch and I retook a lot of photos since I finally found a setting in the camera that got the lighting a bit better and then checked out animals on display ( too dark for picture taking ) and some of the old farm machinery. The rodeo is going on right next door and we will go to that tomorrow.
We headed up Sunshine Valley Road afterwords looking for a friend's party but weren't too sure about the location and I couldn't reach her on the phone so we took the opportunity to go for an extended drive since the rain was holding off. I got a chance to retake some neat scenics that I discovered last year and we continued down the road which we expected to loop back up to the main road but it didn't...or we missed it. I wish I had known that this road ( a forestry service track ) had been decommissioned but the sign had evidently been pulled off or blown away...it was present on the other end of the road which took us an hour to reach. The really scary bit was when we reached a large dip with a bolder at the high point and a huge bump 5 feet past that...one wheel was evidently hanging in the air while I REALLY SLOWLY drove over it- my husband was pushing against the car from the outside to keep it from tilting over!

Awful drive and then seeing the 'decommissioned' sign on the other end made me a bit bitter as we had missed the party on account of thinking this wouldn't take as long as it did. We were overjoyed to get back on the main road and high tailed it back to Merritt and stuffed ourselves on Chinese buffet at Crystal Gardens. ( They are prize donaters for the fair by the way and have a great buffet! ) Still couldn't get a hold of my friend Kathy who is celebrating her official landing in Canada. She asked me once when I was going to activate my voice mail and I asked her when she was going to learn the Canadian anthem- lol! On the subject of phones- when I got my current one ( service provided by Rogers ) it took something like 5 tries to activate the voice mail thing and then I had to change my phone number and it took a few tries again to get it going. But I had to change the number a second time after moving here because they gave me a KAMLOOPS! number and it took weeks to convince them to find me a number with the Merritt area code. I dread trying to activate the voice mail which is why I've put it off I guess.

I hate phones if the truth be told but they're handy especially in this day and age where we drive everywhere and anything could happen at any time.
Anyways, I guess the rant I was promising will wait for another day since I've got a lot of positive things going on lately!

1 comment:

Othmar Vohringer said...

Congratulations Heidi. I knew your pictures would win awards, but even i did not expect that you would clean it up like you did with almost every single picture and art work on display.

There are no words to describe how proud I am of your achievement. Keep it up.